A natural occurring mineral that is based on a collection of silicate minerals and composed of varying amounts of potassium, iron, aluminum, magnesium and water is Mica. It is found having thin-sheet like or plate-like structure with various composition and physical properties. Mica forms flat six-sided monoclinic crystals along with an extraordinary split in the direction of larger surfaces. This allows the mineral to be easily cleaved into optically flat films. High in silica, this stone has the extensive capacity to remain elastic and tough even at high temperatures. This helps the people to handle and work with the stone in those places with high and humid temperatures.
A superior insulator and a biaxial birefringent crystal, Mica possesses average refractive index and its visible spectrum is about 1.6. Due to this nature Mica can be used to cause a point delay between two orthogonal elements of an input linear polarization and therefore can also be used as a retardation device. However, the birefringence is not constant and because of this very reason the optical and physical thickness will vary. It has the absorption of 2 to 5% in the perceptible range. The best part is Mica can resist nearly all mediums like chemicals, acids, gasses, alkalis, and oils
Uses of Mica
Mica is a naturally occurring stone that directly applies to a set of minerals containing silica in its highest form. This mineral is mostly used in gypsum wallboard combined compound where it acts as wadding and prevents cracking. There are a variety of uses of this mineral such as:
- It is used in paints as a pigment extender and also helps to brighten the tone of colored pigments
- In the electrical industry the same as thermal insulation, and electrical insulators in electronic equipment
- Its shiny and glittery appearance makes it ultimate for toothpaste and cosmetics
- The high thermal resistance allows it to be used as an insulator in various electronics
- MICA SHIELDS or Gauge Glass Mica can be used to secure the liquid level gauges from corrosive and acidic solutions.